One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Treatment designed to improve, reinforce, or sustain a patient's physiological well-being or psychological self-esteem and self-reliance.
- ‘Like major depression, dysthymia can be treated with supportive therapy that provides advice, reassurance, sympathy, and education.’
- ‘To many psychiatric clinicians, supportive therapy has traditionally meant a type of treatment with limited goals that is suitable for patients who are too impaired to ‘really work’ in therapy.’
- ‘Despite supportive therapy the patient continued to deteriorate.’
- ‘There is no specific treatment for West Nile encephalitis other than supportive therapy (such as hospitalization, intravenous fluids, and respiratory support) for severe cases.’
- ‘They add that the best course may be to start with a brace as supportive therapy after the initial presentation and to reserve physical therapy for use in patients who fail to respond to the brace.’
- ‘For the more psychologically impaired patient, supportive therapy was the treatment of choice.’
- ‘Our patient received supplemental oxygen and supportive therapy for her severe pulmonary hypertension.’
- ‘It is important to continue TB treatment and give supportive therapy to patients with IRS.’
- ‘Although not rigorously evaluated, supportive therapy may be responsible for the high placebo-response rates in clinical trials.’
- ‘Once acute renal failure develops, supportive therapy is critical to maintain fluid and electrolyte balances, minimize nitrogenous waste production and sustain nutrition.’
- ‘If the physician has time constraints or other difficulties providing supportive therapy, referral to a mental health professional should be considered.’
- ‘By using a previously developed model, NIMH-funded researchers have found supportive therapy helpful in engaging patients in treatment, developing a therapeutic alliance and achieving treatment goals.’
- ‘Provide the family with supportive therapy and referral to community support groups.’
- ‘The treatment involved an eight-week interdisciplinary intervention that included a self-help program, acupuncture and a psychosomatic supportive therapy group.’
- ‘The standard of care for lower gastrointestinal bleeding is supportive therapy followed by elective colonoscopy when the bleeding has stopped.’
- ‘With supportive therapy alone, mortality rates of 80-100% have been reported.’
- ‘Mechanical ventilation is a life-saving form of supportive therapy for respiratory failure.’
- ‘Standard treatment is based on intravenous immunoglobulin plus supportive therapy.’
- ‘However, in patients with encephalitis supportive therapy is recommended.’
- ‘Patients in Group I received standard quinine and doxycycline therapy along with supportive therapy and placebo capsules for 10 days.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.