One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action of asking or begging for something earnestly or humbly.‘he fell to his knees in supplication’
entreaty, plea, appeal, petition, solicitation, exhortation, urge, prayer, invocation, suit, request, applicationView synonyms
- ‘He read out the text, directed the contract and made graceful supplications.’
- ‘His gesture is somewhere between surrender and supplication.’
- ‘Councils may be able to make their supplications to the State Government and Parliament but, in the end, they have to comply with the law.’
- ‘The women's defiant attitude was the greatest surprise to the authorities who expected tears, supplications and general weakness.’
- ‘They used to offer their supplications before these deities in rhymed prose and sought revelation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.