One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A user of a computer system with special privileges needed to administer and maintain the system; a system administrator.
- ‘A properly exploited buffer overflow could allow a hacker to gain root, or superuser, access to a Sendmail server.’
- ‘Giving superuser capabilities to regular users is serious business.’
- ‘However, the students require superuser access to perform even the most basic system administration duties.’
- ‘In this case, the superuser is known as the SysOp, or system operator.’
- ‘The superuser is often a privileged user who has unrestricted access to the whole system, all commands and all files regardless of their permissions.’
- ‘In practice, however, on most systems you have to be logged on as the superuser or temporarily become that user in order to do anything important.’
- ‘It's best to run these as the superuser, because only root is allowed to invoke real-time priority.’
- ‘The book also emphasizes administrative security duties with discussions of system accounts, logging, superuser safety and secure network services.’
- ‘This is good healthy paranoia: we don't want to have to log in as the superuser for mundane activities such as viewing system reports, which are sometimes e-mailed to root.’
- ‘As a result a maliciously constructed message might allow hackers to execute arbitrary commands on a target system with superuser privilege.’
- ‘If no errors were reported by the make process, become the superuser by typing su root and entering your root password, then type make install.’
- ‘The superuser can do this whether you choose to accept messages or not.’
- ‘Indeed, in many cases those committing significant frauds against a company must obtain unauthorized or superuser access to IT systems in order to either perpetuate the frauds or conceal them.’
- ‘File and process protection will guard even against root superuser changes.’
- ‘Also, because A and B have superuser privileges, we have to wait for them to say okay to this sleep transition before it proceeds any further.’
- ‘It doesn't show you the correct rights, it doesn't allow you to change them (not even with superuser power) and it doesn't let you delete users.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.