Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Increase the concentration of (a solution) beyond saturation point.
- ‘Obstruction of the cystic duct causes the intraluminal pressure within the gall bladder to increase and, together with cholesterol supersaturated bile, triggers an acute inflammatory response.’
- ‘However, as the water passes through the turbines, with ever-present air, it becomes supersaturated with nitrogen.’
- ‘Instead, single silicon carbide crystals are formed by the condensation of supersaturated vapor.’
- ‘On the other hand, if they are prepared from alloy powders, their properties and corrosion resistance are better, especially if the rapid cooling or atomizing is exploited to supersaturate the aluminum, and no segregation is present.’
- ‘The object is to produce minute crystals in a supersaturated solution of sugar, giving a ‘creamy’ texture to the finished product.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.