Increase the concentration of (a solution) beyond saturation point.
- ‘On the other hand, if they are prepared from alloy powders, their properties and corrosion resistance are better, especially if the rapid cooling or atomizing is exploited to supersaturate the aluminum, and no segregation is present.’
- ‘Obstruction of the cystic duct causes the intraluminal pressure within the gall bladder to increase and, together with cholesterol supersaturated bile, triggers an acute inflammatory response.’
- ‘The object is to produce minute crystals in a supersaturated solution of sugar, giving a ‘creamy’ texture to the finished product.’
- ‘Instead, single silicon carbide crystals are formed by the condensation of supersaturated vapor.’
- ‘However, as the water passes through the turbines, with ever-present air, it becomes supersaturated with nitrogen.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.