One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An oxide containing the anion O₂⁻.
- ‘Catalase acts as a free radical scavenger by neutralizing superoxide radical anion and hydrogen peroxide.’
- ‘Although the most common anion formed by oxygen is monatomic, oxygen can also form diatomic ions known as peroxides and superoxides (monovalent).’
- ‘In pure water irradiated by ultrasound under aerobic conditions, it is possible to find free oxygen and hydrogen, hydrogen peroxide and superoxide, nitrous and nitric acids.’
- ‘When the toxin is exposed to light, it reacts with oxygen to produce superoxide anions and singlet oxygen, which are also known as free radicals.’
- ‘Antioxidants, such as vitamins C and E, and antioxidant enzymes, such as superoxide dismutase and catalase, may play an important role in protecting the pathway.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.