Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Exceeding or beyond the normal; exceptional.‘a supernormal human’
paranormal, psychic, magic, magical, occult, mystic, mystical, miraculous, superhuman, supernormal, hypernormal, extramundaneView synonyms
- ‘The onus is then on the incumbent monopolist to ensure that supernormal profits are never earned.’
- ‘These people are supernormal in terms of resilience and self-confidence.’
- ‘Armed with these, an airline can make supernormal profits when seasonal summer demand is strong, while sustaining a profitable platform in the fallow winter months.’
- ‘Biotech investing is considered risky as it is based on assessing which pipelines can deliver supernormal profits.’
- ‘Does the current slowdown represent a minor blip or a signal that the supernormal profits enjoyed by drug companies may soon be at an end?’
- ‘Of course, supernormal profit can be, and often is, competed away in the real world as people come up with innovations and new ways of doing things.’
- ‘He claims that his wisdom is almost supernormal in its capacity.’
- ‘Their asceticism and bodhisattva qualities led their followers to attribute to them a range of supernormal powers, such as discerning other people's thoughts, clairvoyance and ability to ward off malevolent spirits.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.