One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting or using a system of radio and television reception in which the receiver produces a tunable signal which is combined with the incoming signal to produce a predetermined intermediate frequency, on which most of the amplification is formed.
- ‘The Lockheed Martin AN / ALR - 56M radar warning receiver is a superheterodyne receiver operating in the 2-20GHz band.’
A superheterodyne receiver.
- ‘It is a T.R.F. (Tuned Radio Frequency) receiver, which is a little unusual as the other receivers in the CR series are superheterodynes.’
- ‘Both radios are similar in design - five - tube superheterodynes with both broadcast and shortwave tuning.’
- ‘When I began collecting pre-1930 superheterodynes, I had a lot of trouble finding information about them and their schematics.’
- ‘They are triple-conversion superheterodynes, with 0.2-0.3 microvolt SSB sensitivity, 2-3 kHz / - 6 decibel selectivity, and frequency stability of 3-5 parts per million.’
- ‘In one embodiment the superheterodynes circuit operates at 455 kHz which up-converts the usual 67 kHz signal by mixing it with the output of a ceramic resonator controlled local oscillator/mixer.’
- ‘Its quality stood behind the commercial superheterodynes which were produced for marine and navy applications ten years ago.’
- ‘The public was not so receptive since superheterodynes were complicated devices requiring many controls, as well as lots of tubes and batteries.’
- ‘This digital book will walk you through the theory behind and the servicing techniques for superheterodynes and provide the type of refined technical advice that cannot be found in modern service books.’
- ‘RF signal generators began to be available for radio servicing about the time that more complex ac radios appeared and superheterodynes became more common.’
- ‘Jumping from radio to TV, the first pre-World War II RCA television receivers were superheterodynes with a picture IF of 12.75 MHz.’
- ‘The German superheterodynes were always very well screened and featured extensive selectivity before the mixer with three or more tuned circuits.’
- ‘He dabbled in radio sales back when they were dubbed superheterodynes, and he brought some of the earliest electric household appliances to San Antonio buyers.’
1920s: from supersonic + heterodyne.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.