Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A nutrient-rich food considered to be especially beneficial for health and well-being.‘he touts broccoli sprouts and salmon as two of the most perfect superfoods’
- ‘But - if British researchers can confirm an earlier study - the even greater heart benefits from pomegranates may make them the new superfood.’
- ‘Visually this is a treat - and since they're being lauded as one of the new superfoods, you'll have the added bonus of knowing you're doing yourself good.’
- ‘What's more, consuming superfoods that contain naturally occurring nutrient combinations may actually be healthier than taking them in isolated nutrients.’
- ‘For instance, a breakfast of nonfat yogurt topped with blueberries, bananas, chopped walnuts and ground flaxseed knocks three superfoods off his list in one meal.’
- ‘‘It's positioning the humble baked bean as a superfood,’ said another company spokesman.’
- ‘And if you want to stay healthy, you need a few superfoods.’
- ‘But when you take away the clever packaging and advertising, is soy really a superfood?’
- ‘Another water-derived superfood that has potent effects in human health is spirulina.’
- ‘Just because chocolate has temporarily borrowed the health halo doesn't make it a superfood.’
- ‘Unhulled, brown ‘pot’ barley is what you'll find in wholefood shops because it counts as something of a nutritional superfood offering an excellent serving of complex carbohydrate and six times more fibre than other grains.’
- ‘With a growing number of studies pointing to soy as a superfood, it's getting harder to find a reason not to add it to your diet.’
- ‘Now cultivated in laboratories, HSOs are grown in a substrate of nutrient-rich superfoods containing naturally occurring vitamins, minerals, trace elements, live enzymes, and proteins.’
- ‘Plus, wheat germ is rich in vitamins E and B. Smoothies are a perfect way to add both of these superfoods to your diet.’
- ‘It's not for my lawnmower but for me: hemp oil is one of those substances currently being declared a superfood.’
- ‘For an individual who wishes to nourish his or her own body, ingesting superfoods is an excellent way to supplement.’
- ‘It contains superfoods like nori, sprouted quinoa, alfalfa, aloe vera and wild blue-green algae, which has virtually every nutrient known to man.’
- ‘Kale is one of nature's superfoods, rich in vitamins A and C, and anti-cancer nutrients, as well as being good for healthy bone-building and skin-healing.’
- ‘A cocktail which includes a superfood can never be a bad thing, and it certainly perked me up no end.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.