One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Lack of thoroughness, depth of character, or serious thought.‘the ignorance and superficiality of the media hinder a serious examination of the question’‘he ruthlessly exposes the superficiality of 1980s culture’count noun ‘it's too easy to hurt people over the superficialities of appearance’
- ‘The novel exposes the superficiality of bourgeois lives that associate the possession of material things with prosperity and good living.’
- ‘At university she was shocked to find superficiality among the students around her: most people seemed concerned with socializing, their physical appearance, and going to parties.’
- ‘Superficiality of public argument and inattention to sustained discussion were thought to impoverish decision-making about public affairs.’
- ‘The superficiality of this interview is an ironic prelude to the depths we will watch the characters experience later.’
- ‘He's hardly a stud, and his superficiality and dismissal of any woman he deems unfit are more galling as a result.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.