One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The part of a person's mind that acts as a self-critical conscience, reflecting social standards learned from parents and teachers.‘the father is the model for the superego’as modifier ‘true schizophrenias lack the superego elements present in paranoia’
unconscious mind, mind, imagination, inner self, innermost self, self, inner man, inner woman, psyche, ego, id, true being, essential natureView synonyms
- ‘Normally, if I wanted to rob a bank, the superego or conscience would force a delay, and the trigger is the anxiety [I would feel] in anticipation of doing something wrong.’
- ‘This is in no small way directly attributable to the never-ending battle between my three psychosocial building blocks, in which my id and ego battle the superego for supremacy in times of woe, happiness and all between.’
- ‘Freud approaches this situation by way of the model of the primeval id set against the cultivations of the superego; Marcuse counterpoints the libidinous Eros impulse against the regulating structures of Civilisation.’
- ‘This sense of conscience-whether individually internalized or mandated by a collective consciousness-forces the superego to engage in battle with the harsh aggressiveness that the ego would like to inflict upon others.’
- ‘His need for order, form, and tradition is a substitute for the id impulses that are repressed by his strong superego.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.