One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the Democratic Party) an unelected delegate who is free to support any candidate for the presidential nomination at the party's national convention.
- ‘She also arranged a private meeting later in the day with uncommitted superdelegates.’
- ‘No question two-thirds 66 percent of the Vermont Democrats said the superdelegates should vote the will of the people.’
- ‘The former president says he also sees an effort afoot to strong-arm undecided superdelegates to make their choice fast.’
- ‘In word and picture, Clinton has been relentless as she goes after Obama while courting the superdelegates who could decide the nominee.’
- ‘Eight hundred superdelegates will attend the Democratic convention.’
- ‘If superdelegates decide this nomination, it's going to look like big-shot politicians and fat-cats decided who should be president.’
- ‘The swing of the superdelegates continues right now.’
- ‘Party and elected officials - the so-called super-delegates - are free to shift allegiance, and could form an instant core of Clinton support.’
- ‘The biggest well of superdelegates is in Congress.’
- ‘He is now within two superdelegates of Clinton now.’
- ‘What may be more damaging for Mr Obama are the gnawing doubts in the minds of the Democratic super-delegates.’
- ‘Pelosi, along with every other member of Congress, is indeed a superdelegate in an unprecedented primary race.’
- ‘Instead she hopes to surpass Obama in the popular vote, and then persuade the superdelegates to side with her at the convention.’
- ‘The superdelegates are watching the voters.’
- ‘If I were a super delegate, I would want to take some account of what feeling is in those two crucial states.’
- ‘This morning, Barack Obama picked up two additional superdelegates.’
- ‘They still believe that they have a very strong case to make to the superdelegates.’
- ‘Now he's a Democratic superdelegate, just back from an important mission to South America as well.’
- ‘There will be nearly 800 superdelegates - party and elected officials - at the national convention in Denver.’
- ‘Almost 200 superdelegates also remain up for grabs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.