One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A particularly powerful mainframe computer.
- ‘Together, Linux clusters and object-based storage clusters deliver commodity-like supercomputers able to keep pace with increasingly voracious applications.’
- ‘Using software to tie together those desktops into a single ‘grid,’ it assembled, in effect, a supercomputer to run its analytical software.’
- ‘It costs less to make a cluster computer out of a group of personal computers or workstations than to buy a supercomputer to perform enormous mathematical tasks.’
- ‘His current interests are in high performance computer systems design, software engineering tools for programming parallel and distributed supercomputers and stained glass windows.’
- ‘The interesting thing about a supercomputer with a lot of processors in it is that it is, in some ways, no different to a cluster of computers, communicating through a network, and working together on a single application.’
- ‘The new charges relate to Unix's ability to turn a cluster of PCs into a supercomputer powerful enough to use to develop nuclear missiles.’
- ‘With so-called grid computing, even personal computers can serve as a virtual supercomputer if enough of them are linked together.’
- ‘Thus, it is no surprise that it was the sober scientists who started replacing expensive supercomputers with inexpensive networks of GNU / Linux systems.’
- ‘In the past, supercomputers required the software to be handcrafted for the specific architecture of the supercomputer.’
- ‘However, this number is still theoretical, and because there is often a substantial gap between theory and practice, supercomputers must complete a series of calculations known as the Linpack benchmark to qualify for a chart ranking.’
- ‘Most supercomputers are built from commodity processors that are designed for a broad market and are manufactured in large numbers.’
- ‘IBM has regained dominance on a list of the 500 fastest supercomputers and has also landed two unusual prototypes in the top 10.’
- ‘When completed, the machine will be one of the fastest, most powerful Linux-based supercomputers in the world…’
- ‘The idea of a virtual supercomputer, powered by the spare processor cycles and bandwidth of thousands of PCs, is anything but new.’
- ‘This configuration can achieve supercomputer processing rates at a fragment of the supercomputer's price tag.’
- ‘As such, scientists from around the country can access the supercomputer for research through a competitive proposal process.’
- ‘Therefore, the cost associated with maintenance is low compared to expensive maintenance contracts researchers used to need for classic supercomputers.’
- ‘By bringing hundreds of people like you together in one room, we will have enough computing power to become one of the fastest supercomputers on the planet.’
- ‘Grid computing seeks to create virtual supercomputers by expanding the clustering concept across multiple locations and domains.’
- ‘A custom supercomputer uses processors that have been specialized for scientific computing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.