One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A system producing severe thunderstorms and featuring rotating winds sustained by a prolonged updraft that may result in hail or tornadoes.
- ‘This disturbance provides the strong vertical wind shear that gives an updraft its twisting motion, turning a normal thunderstorm into a potentially tornado spawning supercell.’
- ‘These state-of-the-art detection units allow forecasters to peek inside a supercell and look for a Tornado Vortex Signature, or TVS.’
- ‘The supercell gets its rotation by tilting the winds; this causes the cell to grow faster and stronger.’
- ‘As mentioned earlier, a type of thunderstorm called a supercell creates the strongest tornadoes.’
- ‘In a strong supercell, like the one that hovered over Thayer and Hamilton counties Sunday night, hail develops and moves up and down in the center of the cell until it becomes so heavy it falls to the ground.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.