One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of independent political action committee which may raise unlimited sums of money from corporations, unions, and individuals but is not permitted to contribute to or coordinate directly with parties or candidates.‘in the 2010 congressional races, super PACs spent over $60 million’
- ‘The limit on individual contributions that can go directly to a candidate is $2,500, but when giving to a super PAC the sky is the limit.’
- ‘The only mild palliative might be to pressure Congress to pass the Disclose Act, which would end the secrecy of big donations and require super PACs to list top donors in ads’
- ‘With each new threat from another candidate, his super PAC has launched blistering attack ads to help stall those candidates' momentum.’
- ‘Just 200 rich individuals, each contributing an average of $500,000, are responsible for over half the $182m donated to Super PACs.’
- ‘We have these super PACs that have been created by forces that are aligned with him.’
- ‘As we move into the general election, social media may prove to be a powerful counterweight to these super PACs.’
- ‘Despite limited policy action on super PACs, these new entities are quickly occupying a major place in federal elections.’
- ‘There's actually an interesting hook in it, too, which is that a number of media commentators also run PACs, arguably, super PACs.’
- ‘A variety of super PACs supporting congressional candidates and various political agendas sprouted in months before the 2010 congressional elections, soon after court rulings struck down previous fund-raising restrictions.’
- ‘The new super PACs can't coordinate directly with campaigns but have already played a major role in the Republican primary contests.’
- ‘At least four independent "super PACs" are being run by the aides, and one that is openly backing him has already amassed $12 million this year.’
- ‘This is the first presidential campaign in the post-Citizens United world of billionaires and Super PACs and that may be the reason things go differently this time.’
- ‘Tonight, I await the FEC's decision on my super PAC.’
- ‘There are currently seven Super PACs supporting his bid.’
- ‘The new super PACs emerge as spending is already surpassing previous midterm elections.’
- ‘That supremacy may soon be challenged by the Romney campaign and its main super-PAC, which just made a $3.1 million ad buy.’
- ‘The Democratic super PAC Priorities USA launched a television advert today in Colorado, Florida, Iowa, North Carolina and Virginia (states thought to be competitive in the next election).’
- ‘The crucial role the "super PAC now plays in modern presidential politics has been on vivid display in the week before the Super Tuesday primaries.’
1980s (in the broader sense ‘a political action committee that is subject to less stringent restrictions on certain types of fundraising and expenditure’): from super- + PAC.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.