One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An old and declining industry.
- ‘I recall that it was a Labour Prime Minister who, some 10 years ago - it might have been a few years longer ago than that - said that the dairy industry was a sunset industry.’
- ‘After visiting several textile factories around the island, I don't think that textile is a sunset industry.’
- ‘This adaptation also involved a shift in migrant occupation away from customary jobs in the declining sunset industries.’
- ‘It must be acknowledged, however, that there is a perception (in some quarters) of mining and oil production as environmentally unfriendly sunset industries.’
- ‘She said that as labor and land costs rise in Taiwan, many sunset industries and small and medium-sized companies are finding relief in China, where both of these resources are abundant and cheap.’
- ‘Unfortunately, we have had to put up with National MPs who have described farming, in their own words, as a sunset industry that has had its day.’
- ‘Nobody wants to see companies becoming insolvent, but whether or not we like it, there are industries within New Zealand that will, in the course of time, become sunset industries.’
- ‘I pick up on a point made earlier by other speakers that is worth reflecting on, and that is that in the past many people regarded the meat and wool industries as sunset industries.’
- ‘We received some funding before Christmas for a cluster coordinator for our apparel and textile businesses, which has been about making sure those sunset industries have a sense of sunrise about them.’
- ‘By and large, one is talking about large industries that have the capacity to be sunset industries.’
- ‘We are turning a sunrise industry into a sunset industry, as Australia and Chile get out there and capture our markets.’
- ‘So, following the example of the U.S., Japanese companies are pulling out of sunset industries and shifting low-end manufacturing offshore.’
- ‘The whole scheme seems to rely on a sort of brainwashing, picking out vulnerable people (there was talk in the presentation on recruiting people who were unemployed, in sunset industries, on low pay or working long hours).’
- ‘Lastly, the absence of inclusive industrialization strategies has hindered the deliverance of new, innovative products in some sunset industries.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.