One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The hard-shelled edible seed of a plant of the daisy family, yielding an oil used in cooking and margarine.
- ‘Have you ever loaded up the bird table with winter treats for your garden birds, only to find it stripped down to the last nut and sunflower seed a few hours later?’
- ‘‘Look for products with panthenol and vegetable proteins that strengthen hair, and grape seed extract and sunflower seed extract that offer color protection,’ she says.’
- ‘The company's millet seeds attract small birds and groundfeeders such as doves, finches and chickadees; hemp seeds entice cardinals, grosbeaks and nuthatches; and black-oil sunflower seeds are popular with a large variety of birds.’
- ‘During the months from November through March we usually start the day by scattering a little sunflower seed, bread crusts, and cheese crackers along this railing.’
- ‘The innovative formula brings together antiperspirants and skin-softening ingredients like sunflower seed oil and glycerin.’
- ‘Good dietary sources of vitamin E include certain cereals, wheat germ, nuts - especially sunflower seeds and almonds - leafy green vegetables, and vegetable oils.’
- ‘My son's cockatiel eats like a bird, so our stock of millet and black-oil sunflower seeds rarely needs replenishing.’
- ‘He believes a bird flying over the garden could have dropped a sunflower seed which has now transformed into the large plant.’
- ‘Many natural- and gourmet-food markets also carry almond, macadamia, Brazil nut, pistachio, cashew, pumpkin seed, hazelnut and sunflower seed butters.’
- ‘At the feeder on the window sill, goldfinches, titmice, chickadees, nuthatches, and cardinals have been busy at a heap of free (to them) sunflower seeds.’
- ‘And there, sitting on folding chairs and snacking messily and noisily on sunflower seeds, we watched films that were ancient even then.’
- ‘I loved to watch the deer pick their way across the vast snowfield that used to be a golf course, eager for the apples and sunflower seeds we put out for them.’
- ‘Breads appeared on the table and included some brown as well as pumpkin and sunflower seed varieties.’
- ‘Alternatives are almonds, pistachios, sesame seeds, peanuts (with the skins on for optimum benefit), pumpkin and sunflower seeds, macadamia nuts, pecans, hazelnuts and cashews.’
- ‘Comparatively, sunflower seed oil has a low smoke point and is best used for low heat cooking or in salads.’
- ‘Other choices - sustainably harvested lumber and countertops of pressed sunflower seed shells, for example - were more straightforward.’
- ‘As a result, global prices for soymeal, rape seed and sunflower seed have been jumping.’
- ‘Spanish researchers tested a fatless sunflower seed meal in an experiment that mimicked the body's digestive process.’
- ‘Buy a packet of sunflower seed and help the kids or grandkids to plant them (they are really hardy and heat tolerant).’
- ‘Antsy as a kid on the first day of school, one snags a sunflower seed and carries it to the birdbath, where it perches just long enough to crack the shell, catch the kernel and fly off into the maple tree.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.