One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small, mainly nocturnal bear that has a brownish-black coat with a light-colored mark on the chest, native to Southeast Asia.
Helarctos malayanus, family Ursidae
- ‘For these animals, as well as another 45 moon bears and 14 sun bears, 50 macaques, 30 gibbons, 10 crocodiles, 4 binturongs, and 200 dogs, Banglamung Wildlife Breeding Center is essentially a well-appointed refugee center.’
- ‘Environmentalists warn that Borneo's wild orang-utans, sun bears, and clouded leopards could be wiped out in 10 to 20 years, as well as countless other species.’
- ‘The sun bears and sloth bears (also included in the Ursus group by many scientists) also have as many differences as similarities.’
- ‘The tiny sun bear picked her way through the chairs and tables and stood next to Wendy.’
- ‘There are several different types of bears, including the Asiatic, sun bears, brown, grizzly, black, Kodiak, sloth, giant panda and polar bears.’
- ‘The lineages leading to the remaining species - the brown bear the black bear the sun bear and the sloth bear - first became distinct 5-7 M.Y.B.P.’
- ‘There was also difficulty when a confiscation team was going to confiscate a sun bear owned by Alfred, who was then running an ‘animal show’ in Sleman.’
- ‘The illegal logging destroys the habitat of rare species such as orang-utans, Sumatran rhinos, and sun bears.’
- ‘Other animals photographed included elephants, sun bears, porcupines, clouded leopards, wild dogs, and panthers.’
- ‘So, as Sun Hean translated, we asked our hosts, ‘Is the animal a sun bear or a moon bear?’’
- ‘A glass case held four skulls, which Galbreath identified as those of sun bears.’
- ‘Rowena saw monkeys, zebras, elephants, a group of vivid but lazy sun bears.’
- ‘Smaller animals - sun bears, monkeys and macaques - can be rehabilitated at rescue centres with the hope of returning them to the wild.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.