Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Dry (something, especially food) in the sun, as opposed to using artificial heat.‘sun-dried tomatoes’
- ‘She was in a bed of sun-dried, sweet smelling cotton sheets.’
- ‘The grapes are sun-dried, which gives it quite a different flavour to your usual dessert wine. This is an ancient method and delivers a fortified flavour with a gentle acidity.’
- ‘Both are made by harvesting late ultra-ripe grapes and then concentrating them further by sun-drying them.’
- ‘Near the coast there is always fresh fish, but most fish consumed is sun-dried or smoked.’
- ‘In the desert, houses are built from stamped clay and sun-dried mud bricks.’
- ‘Other popular flavor varieties include sun-dried tomatoes and freeze-dried onions and peppers.’
- ‘To start, I had a plate of crostini with tomatoes, artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, cheese and a generous scattering of basil leaves with some quality olive oil.’
- ‘It crashes down in torrents, carving channels through the cracked, sun-dried soil, racing to the sea before it has time to soak in.’
- ‘Her fur was warm, with a close, musty scent: like sun-dried straw.’
- ‘Perhaps the oldest and easiest form of food preservation is sun-drying.’
- ‘If you're not an olive fan, try something similar with sun-dried tomatoes or fresh basil leaves.’
- ‘Another area of growth we have seen is seasoned gourmet cheeses such as dill havarti and sun-dried tomato mozzarella,’ she adds.’
- ‘As I knelt on the sun-dried ground, my hands clenched in fists, I knew my cause was hopeless.’
- ‘Clay walls may be molded by hand or with wooden forms; it may be preformed into bricks and sun-dried.’
- ‘Mud and wattle or sun-dried bricks are used in house building in rural areas; well-off families may use concrete blocks.’
- ‘Her focaccia bread was soft and chewy and had pieces of olive and sun-dried tomato in it.’
- ‘Good paste tomatoes are seedless, meaty, and on the dry side - qualities that also tailor them perfectly to sauces and sun-drying.’
- ‘But remember to sun-dry grass or clover before giving it to your rabbits; abruptly adding these materials when fresh to their diets can upset their stomachs.’
- ‘Extra virgin olive oil from Italy, roasted peppers from Tagaytay, organic garlic from the health store, sun-dried tomatoes from my mother's garden in Tagaytay.’
- ‘Construction is mainly of sun-dried mud blocks, timber beams, and terracotta tiles.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.