One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A participant in a meeting between heads of government.
- ‘Yet for that very reason it is vital to be clear about the fast-moving events that the summiteers are meeting to consider.’
- ‘Live8 was intended to raise consciousness and exert political pressure on the G8 summiteers.’
- ‘When that, too, failed, the waxen-faced summiteers emerged, and the recriminations began.’
- ‘So far it's unclear what the co-chairs have in mind to do with the mandate they received from the summiteers and the mayor.’
- ‘So the summiteers brought developing country leaders to Genoa for an audience and asked UN Secretary General Kofi Annan to launch his AIDS fund there.’
- ‘The summiteers, the leaders of Libya, Sudan, Egypt, Nigeria and Chad, stressed their ‘rejection of all foreign intervention in this purely African question‘.’
- ‘It would be the icing on the cake if I was one of the summiteers.’
- ‘Today's unrelated decision in Singapore on the venue for the 2012 Olympic Games could impact on the mood of the summiteers too.’
- ‘The summiteers would like to keep their meeting focused on bilateral matters.’
- ‘It is precisely along this road that the summiteers will set out in Prague, focusing on how to build forces that can be fielded rapidly and sustainably wherever and whenever needed.’
- ‘Almost half of these have now either been torn down or will be by the time the APEC summiteers arrive.’
- ‘Yet the terrorism that shook the summiteers in Spain was home-grown - by Basque terrorists.’
- ‘The summiteers can be expected to make much of NATO's deployment of five more ‘provincial reconstruction teams’ to Afghanistan - teams that were promised months ago but never delivered.’
- ‘Such fundamental change was necessary, said the summiteers, because a profligate humanity consumes too much, breeds too much, and pollutes too much, setting the stage for a global ecological catastrophe.’
- ‘Systemic reform, as recommended by summiteers, meant aligning the chief components of education: academic goals, curricula, instruction, and exams.’
- ‘It would be tempting for the G7 summiteers to declare victory and spend their time enjoying Okinawa's splendid beaches.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.