One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A squash that is eaten before the seeds and rind have hardened. Unlike winter squash, summer squash does not keep well.
Cultivars of Cucurbita pepo variety melopepo, family Cucurbitaceae
- ‘Carrots, lettuce, summer squash such as zucchini, celery, asparagus and leafy greens are good vegetable choices.’
- ‘Plant lettuce, carrots, beets, radishes, kale, kohlrabi, turnips, spinach, beans, summer squash and Chinese greens through August.’
- ‘For an early spring harvest plant peas, spinach and radishes; for summer plant tomatoes, peppers and summer squash.’
- ‘Finish seeding bush snap beans, lima beans, sweet corn, winter and summer squash by early May to avoid heat damage.’
- ‘There will be a round of grilled onions with soured cream, summer squash with garlic butter, mushrooms with a thyme and balsamic vinegar dressing, and as many zucchini as my plants can send me.’
- ‘Along these lines, Andress also recommends refrigerating summer squash, cucumbers, eggplant, okra and zucchini and protecting these vegetables from freezing, in the same manner as leafy vegetables.’
- ‘A borer-resistant summer squash is still some years away, however.’
- ‘Peas, brassicas, cucumbers and summer squash should be harvested every other day, not every third.’
- ‘The dividing line between summer squash and winter squash thus corresponds to differences in use.’
- ‘But the best picks - especially for cucumbers and summer squash - are the smallest vegetables on the vine.’
- ‘If seeds begin to mature inside beans, peas, cucumbers, and summer squash, the plants will stop making new fruits.’
- ‘Unlike summer squash, butternut squash has a hard, inedible skin that is easily removed with a vegetable peeler.’
- ‘‘The one pulling up my summer squash is Maggie Dowen,’ continued Adam, sighing in dismay at the destruction of yet another of his plants.’
- ‘The reward: tomatoes by July and every-other-day harvests of beans, peas, brassica, cucumbers and summer squash.’
- ‘The notoriously prolific zucchini is perhaps the best-known summer squash, but the group also includes chayote, yellow crookneck and straightneck squash, as well as pattypans.’
- ‘The crooked neck summer squash, scorned by many, is delicious if properly prepared.’
- ‘Try the Portobello Napoleon - layers of mushroom, sautéed summer squash, spinach and goat cheese marinated in balsamic vinegar and topped with a roasted garlic tomato.’
- ‘One is zucchini, a summer squash that produces so prolifically that in the end we can hardly give it away.’
- ‘Zucchini and summer squash should be picked when they are 6-to - 8 inches long.’
- ‘‘I love the variety of vegetables,’ says Smith, ‘and I try to eat the dark leafy ones five times a week, but I also like summer squash, beets and green beans.’’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.