One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Japanese ink painting using sumi.
- ‘He is the only foreign member of the Gendai Suiboku-ga Kyokai, an honorary association of artists working exclusively on sumi-e.’
- ‘The corresponding Grey Flow resembles the product of an artist gifted in the fluid brushwork of sumi-e.’
- ‘On his desk was the untouched sumi-e stuff: an ink stick, a grinding stone, a seal, fascinating to me and my sister; and the brushes, which lived in the pencil jar.’
- ‘How else to explain his keeping all his ducks in a row and still producing magnificent watercolors and sumi-e paintings?’
- ‘Simplicity is the most outstanding characteristic of sumi-e.’
From sumi + Japanese e ‘painting’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.