One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A serotonin-agonist drug used for the acute treatment of migraines.
- ‘This finding concurs with studies of sumatriptan, a related drug, which was also found to be equally effective in providing symptom relief for migraine headaches, regardless of cause.’
- ‘The authors conclude that both dosages of sumatriptan provide significant pain relief in menstrually related migraine when taken early in the attack.’
- ‘A 46-year-old man who had a 20-year history of migraine attacks began using sumatriptan.’
- ‘The prescribing information also includes boldface warnings that sumatriptan nasal spray should only be used where a clear diagnosis of migraine has been established.’
- ‘In a double blind placebo controlled crossover trial of sumatriptan, those who received the drug were nearly twice as likely to experience relief of headache, compared with those who received placebo.’
- ‘Because, by definition, cluster headaches are short lived, sumatriptan is an excellent choice for these patients.’
- ‘In a clinical trial, a subcutaneous dose of 12 mg of sumatriptan was more effective than a dose of 6 mg.’
- ‘Myocardial infarction has, however, been reported as a consequence of sumatriptan treatment for migraine and its use is contraindicated in patients with ischaemic heart disease.’
- ‘The most significant of these advances has been in the area of migraine abortive drugs such as sumatriptan.’
- ‘Two new intranasal migraine medications, sumatriptan and dihydroergotamine mesylate, may offer specific advantages for patients who are seeking alternatives to various oral or parenteral migraine abortive therapies.’
- ‘Among adolescents, sumatriptan nasal spray is a safe and effective method for migraine treatment.’
- ‘Dihydroergotamine, sumatriptan, intravenous caffeine, steroids, and benzodiazepines were rarely used.’
- ‘The triptan group of drugs - including sumatriptan - work by correcting the serotonin imbalance.’
- ‘Ergotamine and the triptan medications, such as sumatriptan, zolmitriptan and rizatriptan, relieve migraines already in progress.’
- ‘It also reminds me of an excellent study in which properly dosed aspirin plus metoclopramide was equivalent, if not superior, to sumatriptan in acute migraine, and presumably much more cost effective.’
- ‘More than one half of patients receiving the injectable form of sumatriptan report pain relief within 30 minutes.’
- ‘Another patient who injected herself with sumatriptan subcutaneously for cluster headache had chest pain after the first and second injections (one day apart).’
- ‘The intranasal form of sumatriptan is FDA-labeled for the acute treatment of migraine with or without aura.’
- ‘An advantage of the DHE nasal spray is the longer serum half-life, resulting in fewer recurrent headaches than with sumatriptan.’
- ‘A clear diagnosis of migraine headaches should be established in patients who are prescribed sumatriptan.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.