One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A serotonin-agonist drug used for the acute treatment of migraines.
- ‘It also reminds me of an excellent study in which properly dosed aspirin plus metoclopramide was equivalent, if not superior, to sumatriptan in acute migraine, and presumably much more cost effective.’
- ‘An advantage of the DHE nasal spray is the longer serum half-life, resulting in fewer recurrent headaches than with sumatriptan.’
- ‘The intranasal form of sumatriptan is FDA-labeled for the acute treatment of migraine with or without aura.’
- ‘Two new intranasal migraine medications, sumatriptan and dihydroergotamine mesylate, may offer specific advantages for patients who are seeking alternatives to various oral or parenteral migraine abortive therapies.’
- ‘Myocardial infarction has, however, been reported as a consequence of sumatriptan treatment for migraine and its use is contraindicated in patients with ischaemic heart disease.’
- ‘The authors conclude that both dosages of sumatriptan provide significant pain relief in menstrually related migraine when taken early in the attack.’
- ‘Dihydroergotamine, sumatriptan, intravenous caffeine, steroids, and benzodiazepines were rarely used.’
- ‘Ergotamine and the triptan medications, such as sumatriptan, zolmitriptan and rizatriptan, relieve migraines already in progress.’
- ‘More than one half of patients receiving the injectable form of sumatriptan report pain relief within 30 minutes.’
- ‘A clear diagnosis of migraine headaches should be established in patients who are prescribed sumatriptan.’
- ‘The prescribing information also includes boldface warnings that sumatriptan nasal spray should only be used where a clear diagnosis of migraine has been established.’
- ‘Because, by definition, cluster headaches are short lived, sumatriptan is an excellent choice for these patients.’
- ‘A 46-year-old man who had a 20-year history of migraine attacks began using sumatriptan.’
- ‘In a double blind placebo controlled crossover trial of sumatriptan, those who received the drug were nearly twice as likely to experience relief of headache, compared with those who received placebo.’
- ‘The triptan group of drugs - including sumatriptan - work by correcting the serotonin imbalance.’
- ‘In a clinical trial, a subcutaneous dose of 12 mg of sumatriptan was more effective than a dose of 6 mg.’
- ‘This finding concurs with studies of sumatriptan, a related drug, which was also found to be equally effective in providing symptom relief for migraine headaches, regardless of cause.’
- ‘Another patient who injected herself with sumatriptan subcutaneously for cluster headache had chest pain after the first and second injections (one day apart).’
- ‘Among adolescents, sumatriptan nasal spray is a safe and effective method for migraine treatment.’
- ‘The most significant of these advances has been in the area of migraine abortive drugs such as sumatriptan.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.