One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or characteristic of the Indonesian island of Sumatra.‘the aircraft's route took it over the sea and Sumatran jungle’
- ‘This journey was to prove another rewarding Sumatran experience.’
- ‘Scientists have decoded the DNA of a Sumatran orangutan.’
- ‘The menu includes lotus bread, Sumatran white nut curry, and wild mushroom nasi goreng.’
- ‘If it rains particularly hard in the Sumatran rain forest, the already arid region of East Africa is onset with drought.’
- ‘The last quake this serious happened in 1883, when the Sumatran island of Krakatoa "exploded".’
A native or inhabitant of the Indonesian island of Sumatra.‘Sumatrans have been heavily reliant on ground and sea transportation’
- ‘Abundant arable land as well as a strong entrepreneurial tradition drew Sumatrans enthusiastically into the rubber boom in the 1920s.’
- ‘The descendants of these early settlers inter-married with Indonesians and Sumatrans.’
- ‘He had orders to meet with the Sumatrans and seek a peaceful resolution to the situation.’
- ‘Its leader was Sunan Gunung Jati, by origin a Sumatran from Pasai.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.