One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A length of cotton or other light fabric wrapped about the body as a sarong, worn from the waist by men and full-length by women from the Melanesian Islands.
- ‘Heading into court in traditional Fijian sulu skirt, Speight looked calmly confident.’
- ‘Traditional Fijian clothing for men is a native kilt called a sulu.’
- ‘I had flown 16 hours and more than 8,000 miles from New York, and I thought that I had landed in the '60s, everywhere there were smiling men and women clad in colorful sulus, sporting Afros, and exchanging a robust ‘Bula!’’
- ‘Finiki, 68, is barefoot and wears a bright orange sulu, an orange tropical shirt, and a straw hat.’
- ‘A senior man beats a log drum to summon the village to afternoon prayer; women in ‘Mother Hubbard’ dresses and men in sulu wraps file into the stone Methodist church and Sweet Jesus hymns waft out.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.