One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Containing sulfur or sulfuric acid.‘the sulfuric byproducts of wood fires’
- ‘Too much of one of the compounds may result in unwanted bitter, rancid, or sulfuric tastes.’
- ‘Hard coat anodizing should not be confused with sulfuric anodizing, which places a very thin coating of aluminum oxide on the surface of the aluminum surface.’
- ‘It was a long day of walking, and the landscape was incredibly dry and barren, we saw no streams, no water at all once we left behind the sulphuric crater lakes.’
- ‘A study conducted in 1998 revealed that the ocean beds were contaminated by organic matter and sulphuric compounds, likely to damage the seagrass beds, the main source of dugong food.’
- ‘His case was that chloroform was a safer form of anaesthetic than sulphuric ether, which had been tried out in Boston in 1846.’
Late 18th century: from French sulfurique, from Latin (as sulfur).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.