One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A salt of sulfurous acid, containing the anion SO₃²⁻.
- ‘Also available are organic liquid hand soaps and shower gels, which are made without detergents, sulfites or synthetic preservatives.’
- ‘During primary sulphate assimilation in chloroplasts, sulphate is reduced via sulphite to the organic sulphide which is used for cysteine biosynthesis.’
- ‘Not only that, but carbonate and sulfite are the chemicals you run out of most often.’
- ‘Normally, sulfite oxidase metabolizes sulfites to sulfates, which are excreted in the urine or reused by the body.’
- ‘Allergies to sulfites have been documented and foods containing sulfites are usually marked.’
- ‘Fein eliminates the bromide altogether, substitutes benzotriazole, increases the sulfite, and adds a whopping 13.5 grams of citric acid.’
- ‘Others less concerned with added sulfites can satisfy their organic cravings with wine labeled ‘made from organic grapes.’’
- ‘Some asthmatics also react to sulfites present in some foods and wines.’
- ‘What you are describing sounds suspiciously like a reaction to the preservative sulfite.’
- ‘Winemakers who add natural sulfites but otherwise adhere to organic standards may use the term ‘made from organically grown grapes ‘on their labels.’’
- ‘Sulphur dioxide is used to a certain extent in the making of virtually all wine, therefore virtually all wine contains sulfites, or sulphites.’
- ‘They breathe compounds such as CO2, sulphate, sulphite, certain oxidised metals.’
- ‘Since last December, all products must state on the label that they contain any of the eight main food allergens (milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, soy, and cereals containing gluten), plus sesame seeds and sulphites.’
- ‘Items to be avoided are lactose, yeast, artificial dyes, titanium dioxide preservatives, sulfites, synthetic colors, and gluten.’
- ‘Labeling on wines otherwise organically produced, but with added sulfites, may only say, ‘made with organic grapes.’’
- ‘As soon as you stir in the sulfite, you will see the same sort of precipitate that you see when mixing Formulary Rodinal.’
- ‘Sulfate-reducing bacteria utilize a process termed ‘dissimilatory sulfate reduction’ to reduce sulfite and sulfate to sulfide.’
- ‘Pesticides and added sulfites can create allergic reactions causing a person to think he is reacting to a food, when, in truth, the culprits are likely to be these additives.’
- ‘The sulfite provides sufficient alkalinity to activate and maintain the developing process, and in addition acts as a solvent.’
- ‘Californian organic wines can sometimes contain trace amounts of sulphur or sulphites.’
Late 18th century: from French sulfite, alteration of sulfate (see sulfate).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.