One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A salt of sulfurous acid, containing the anion SO₃²⁻.
- ‘Others less concerned with added sulfites can satisfy their organic cravings with wine labeled ‘made from organic grapes.’’
- ‘Normally, sulfite oxidase metabolizes sulfites to sulfates, which are excreted in the urine or reused by the body.’
- ‘What you are describing sounds suspiciously like a reaction to the preservative sulfite.’
- ‘Since last December, all products must state on the label that they contain any of the eight main food allergens (milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, soy, and cereals containing gluten), plus sesame seeds and sulphites.’
- ‘Winemakers who add natural sulfites but otherwise adhere to organic standards may use the term ‘made from organically grown grapes ‘on their labels.’’
- ‘The sulfite provides sufficient alkalinity to activate and maintain the developing process, and in addition acts as a solvent.’
- ‘Allergies to sulfites have been documented and foods containing sulfites are usually marked.’
- ‘Sulfate-reducing bacteria utilize a process termed ‘dissimilatory sulfate reduction’ to reduce sulfite and sulfate to sulfide.’
- ‘Californian organic wines can sometimes contain trace amounts of sulphur or sulphites.’
- ‘During primary sulphate assimilation in chloroplasts, sulphate is reduced via sulphite to the organic sulphide which is used for cysteine biosynthesis.’
- ‘They breathe compounds such as CO2, sulphate, sulphite, certain oxidised metals.’
- ‘Not only that, but carbonate and sulfite are the chemicals you run out of most often.’
- ‘Items to be avoided are lactose, yeast, artificial dyes, titanium dioxide preservatives, sulfites, synthetic colors, and gluten.’
- ‘Fein eliminates the bromide altogether, substitutes benzotriazole, increases the sulfite, and adds a whopping 13.5 grams of citric acid.’
- ‘Some asthmatics also react to sulfites present in some foods and wines.’
- ‘Sulphur dioxide is used to a certain extent in the making of virtually all wine, therefore virtually all wine contains sulfites, or sulphites.’
- ‘Pesticides and added sulfites can create allergic reactions causing a person to think he is reacting to a food, when, in truth, the culprits are likely to be these additives.’
- ‘Labeling on wines otherwise organically produced, but with added sulfites, may only say, ‘made with organic grapes.’’
- ‘Also available are organic liquid hand soaps and shower gels, which are made without detergents, sulfites or synthetic preservatives.’
- ‘As soon as you stir in the sulfite, you will see the same sort of precipitate that you see when mixing Formulary Rodinal.’
Late 18th century: from French sulfite, alteration of sulfate (see sulfate).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.