One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A southern African songbird with a long, fine bill and very long tail, feeding on nectar and insects.
- ‘Protea itch mites are known to hitch rides on sugarbirds and sunbirds in order to feed on flowerheads of sugarbushes.’
- ‘We describe an experimental study of the effect of tail-length on sexual selection in Cape sugarbirds and orange-breasted sunbirds.’
- ‘The sugarbirds were present throughout the year, and nested extensively in the proteas in April and May.’
- ‘Gurney's Sugarbirds were seen close to Lydenburg on some flowering sugarbush; the sugarbirds were concentrated in a small patch of habitat because a recent fire had destroyed the rest.’
- ‘The migration corridors used by the Cape sugarbirds and orange-breasted sunbirds include the path from the Swartberg Mountain’
- ‘All erect proteas are pollinated by sugarbirds, which visit the flowers for their nectar.’
- ‘A single sugarbird can visit and potentially pollinate as many as 300 protea flowers in one day.’
- ‘The flowers are thus perfectly advertised to nectar-eating sugarbirds who pollinate the flowers.’
- ‘Marilyn took good care of ‘Spike’ the hummingbird and the swarming flock of sugarbirds.’
- ‘The recent discovery of blood parasites in South African sugarbirds, identical to those present in Australian honey-eaters and never previously recorded on the African continent, was revolutionary.’
- ‘Review of ‘Sunbirds - A guide to the sunbirds, flowerpeckers, spiderhunters and sugarbirds of the World’, by Robert A. Cheke, Clive F. Mann and Richard Allen, 2001.’
- ‘We have been investigating the consequences of flying with elongated tails in swallows, pheasants, magpies, sunbirds and sugarbirds.’
- ‘Physical characteristics: Cape sugarbirds have rufous head and breast.’
- ‘This is the first book since the nineteenth century to cover all 176 of the world's nectarinidae - sunbirds and spider hunters, flowerpeckers and sugarbirds.’
- ‘And if the poison is killing sugarbirds, it will kill sunbirds and any other pollinators such as insects.’
- ‘Cape sugarbirds Promerops cafer and proteas, particularly along their range limits, are an example of this.’
2West Indiananother term for bananaquit
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.