One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tall graceful pine tree native to California and Oregon, having very long cones and heartwood that exudes a sweet sap.
Pinus lambertiana, family Pinaceae
- ‘The ‘Pendola burn’ project is sponsored by specialty retailer Eddie Bauer, which is helping ensure that some 94,000 Douglas-fir, ponderosa pine, and sugar pines are planted as part of the reforestation effort.’
- ‘Set in a forest thick with giant sugar pines and black oak, the burn was part of Nichols's goal to torch 5,000 to 8,000 acres a year.’
- ‘Boise Cascade was looking for fresh forests, and the million or so acres of white and sugar pine in the coastal Sierra Madre seemed ripe for the reaping - at least from the satellites scouring the forests of the Third World for likely stands.’
- ‘Mixed conifer forest Ponderosa pine, locally often called yellow pine, grows with other tall conifers - sugar pine, white fir, Douglas fir, and incense cedar.’
- ‘The Douglas-fir, ponderosa pine, and sugar pine planted in this area will help regenerate an ecosystem inhabited by wildlife, including bald eagles.’
- ‘It includes a brief biographical sketch of Scottish botanist David Douglas and a description of his 1824 expedition through the Pacific Northwestern United States and his ‘discovery’ of the sugar pine.’
- ‘‘Every tree calls for special admiration,’ Muir said, sitting before the old sugar pine, making sketch after sketch, full of regret that he could not draw every needle.’
- ‘In California, 94,000 Douglas-fir, ponderosa pine, and sugar pine will be planted an 350 acres of Tahoe National Forest near Nevada City.’
- ‘Add large sugar pine cones (available at crafts stores) or berry-laden yaupon branches.’
- ‘When I'm planning a summer vacation, I always include a week at our family cabin at Pinecrest Lake - just the familiar smell of sugar pine relaxes me.’
- ‘We sit on the shore, toes in warm sand, watching the small sailboats race against the backdrop of sugar pine and perfect blue sky.’
- ‘DNA fragments amplified by PtIFG 9053 primers in loblolly pine, slash pine, and sugar pine are shown.’
- ‘The Duke made a board out of a piece of sugar pine provided by a surf club member.’
- ‘Our last stop is the interior mountain ranges, home to the 681-point sugar pine and the almighty 1,321-point giant sequoia.’
- ‘In Tiller, Oregon, chainsaw-wielding vandals attacked one of the world's tallest sugar pines, stripping away a band of bark and several important layers on its base, the Associated Press reports.’
- ‘Although much of the surrounding area has been logged, the biggest sugar pine is currently protected in a 10-acre grove of old-growth high above the North Fork of the Stanislaus River in the Sierras of California.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.