One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Beet of a variety from which sugar is extracted. It provides an important alternative sugar source to cane, and the pulp that remains after processing is used as feed for livestock.
- ‘Sucrose is found in many plants and is refined from sugar cane and sugar beet for commercial usage.’
- ‘The main agricultural exports are wheat, potatoes, sugar beet, hops, fruit and pigs.’
- ‘While different beet cultivars such as beet root, mangold and fodder beet have been used as vegetables or for animal feeding for a long time, sugar beet is a relatively young crop.’
- ‘This would collapse the price of sugar beet and devastate the income of beet growers.’
- ‘Why, for example, is there a federal programme to support the growing of sugar cane in Louisiana and sugar beet in the Midwest at prices higher than the free market world price?’
- ‘Corn is now being moved to mills, straw for winter bedding from farm to farm and soon potatoes and sugar beet will be making their way from farm to factory.’
- ‘We have a good climate for potatoes and sugar beet.’
- ‘The potatoes and sugar beet, so important in this part of the world, look particularly well this year.’
- ‘The area produces cereals, sugar beet, vegetables and animal fodder and supports intensive pig and poultry farms.’
- ‘Part I covers agronomic crops including grain crops, nut, bean, and oil crops, cotton, and sugar beet.’
- ‘These concentrations were used for analysis of ADP-glucose pyrophsphorylase in potato and for sucrose phosphate synthase in sugar beet.’
- ‘Teagasc figures show that sugar beet cannot be grown in Ireland at the reduced beet price contained in the reform proposals of 27.40 per tonne.’
- ‘Agriculture includes livestock-rearing, viticulture, and crops such as cereals, sugar beet, and potatoes.’
- ‘To relate this to current practice a tractor and trailer combination today with a load of sugar beet or barley would have a gross weight of over 20 tonnes.’
- ‘Winter and spring cereals, potatoes and sugar beet are grown, while cattle graze old pastures and hay is made on ancient hay meadows.’
- ‘Mr Meikle farms 130 hectares devoted to sugar beet, salad onions, dwarf beans, barley and wheat.’
- ‘A number of Wexford farmers are considering the possibility of utilising sugar beet as an alternative energy source.’
- ‘On an energy basis 4.0 kg sugar beet or potatoes or 4.5kg fodder beet can replace 1kg barley.’
- ‘Farmers are beginning to worry about some recently-sown crops, like sugar beet, which need a spot of rain to make the seeds dig themselves in, before mice get them.’
- ‘He produces sugar beet, salad onions, dwarf beans, barley and wheat, and integrated farming practice is at the centre of the business's thinking.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.