One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person advocating the extension of suffrage, especially to women.
- ‘Many suffragists decamped overnight to support the war effort, with leaders such as Mrs Pankhurst taking the pragmatic view that women's war work would earn them the vote.’
- ‘Republicans led the fight for women's rights, and most suffragists were Republicans.’
- ‘Mahatma Ghandi made effective use of political fasts, as did the British suffragists, who brought hunger strikes to the American suffrage movement.’
- ‘What would the suffragists and suffragettes of yesteryear think?’
- ‘Republican men were threatened by the Woman Movement's profession of moral politics and nonpartisanship, while suffragists often acted in political ways that created division within their ranks.’
- ‘There were suffragists and socialists, a trade union organizer, and a London city councillor in her heritage.’
- ‘As any Higher history student knows, the women's suffrage movement consisted of two factions: the suffragists and suffragettes.’
- ‘A militant suffragist, she energized the movement through her hunger strikes and her fiery rhetoric.’
- ‘A brilliant and dynamic activist, Eastman was a committed socialist, suffragist, feminist, and antimilitarist.’
- ‘In Ireland early suffragists were largely Protestant, the leadership coming from upper middle-class women who were active in other forms of public work.’
- ‘Maud Reeves was very involved in the Fabian Society and was an active suffragist and sociologist.’
- ‘British suffragists and suffragettes discovered that renewed though it was, the Liberal Party that returned to office in 1906 in no sense had votes for women on the agenda.’
- ‘Hunger strikes have been used by woman suffragists, Irish nationalists, and Palestinian prisoners.’
- ‘It lay dormant for more than a century, until peace activists, suffragists and labor leaders of the teens, twenties and thirties breathed life into its words with their fiery speeches and broadsides.’
- ‘She devotes much space to Elisabeth Freeman, a white suffragist whom the NAACP dispatched to Waco immediately after the lynching to do an undercover investigation and prepare a report.’
- ‘The women in Bolton were suffragists, not suffragettes.’
- ‘Many suffragists were imprisoned for their picketing of the White House.’
- ‘Some prominent 19 th-century suffragists advocated adopting educational or property qualifications for voting that would disqualify most black women.’
- ‘She also assures this organization of woman suffragists: ‘I want women to have their rights.’’
- ‘Our struggle, like those of suffragists, abolitionists, and human rights activists will continue until we obtain our goal.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.