One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Leather with the flesh side rubbed to make a velvety nap.
- ‘And if you want to make a style statement, you should be looking at the latest collection of leather and suede jackets in softer colours for summer.’
- ‘If it is leather, suede, or a leather-fabric combination, a tote can be a good companion for a work outfit.’
- ‘Glass, limestone, dark woods and leather and suede are elements that make up the sleek environment of the plush bar.’
- ‘Urban Originals' satchel bags were also popular, rustic and large, made of such winter materials as leather and suede.’
- ‘Another form of leather, suede, is also huge in jacket form this season.’
- ‘And the use of lightweight leather and suede for both tops and bottoms proves that skin is still in.’
- ‘Once you've decided to sew with real or fake leather or suede, the next step is knowing how to choose the correct leather or suede for your project.’
- ‘Many different styles are available, such as leather or suede, and with buckles or laces.’
- ‘There are details of how they used rugged materials such as glass, concrete and steel alongside velvet, suede and leather.’
- ‘She uses different types of leather like ostrich, nappa, suede and printed leather.’
- ‘Thick, leather or suede gloves may protect your hands from thorns, cuts and scrapes.’
- ‘This Hugo Boss biker style jacket is crafted from premium glossy leather and suede.’
- ‘Shiny metallic gold, silver, bronze and platinum shades will be the strong colors of the season, in soft suede leather.’
- ‘Accessorise the look with long tasselled shoulder bags in patch-work leather and butter soft suede boots.’
- ‘While the souks are undoubtedly the place to shop, leather and suede goods can be found in many shopping areas.’
- ‘Not to be confused with slippers, these are more appropriate for business casual attire if made from leather or suede.’
- ‘Fur, leather and suede are manufactured with oils and fats that dry out over time.’
- ‘Cut facings from lining fabric, velveteen, cotton twill, or faux leather or suede to reduce bulk.’
- ‘This car is beautifully trimmed in wood, leather, and suede.’
- ‘If the abundance of leather, suede, sheepskin and fur heading for our high street fashion stores is anything to go by, the answer is a resounding yes.’
Mid 17th century: from French (gants de) Suède ‘(gloves of) Sweden’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.