One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A soap opera.
- ‘Though some dub the Ranma series a ‘soap opera for kids,’ there is plenty to enjoy as the romantic entanglements are played for humor rather than the endless string of romantic combinations the real sudsers portray.’
- ‘The plot reads as pure sudser, but is executed head held high, with self-assurance standing in place of self-pity, and fate sidestepped for the fortunes we make in its place.’
- ‘Let's face it: the commercial channel's output is overwhelmingly inconsequential, but this bomb of a sudser occupied an even lower rung on the ladder of popular entertainment.’
- ‘I suppose I feel a similar vulnerability at the climactic moment from another Leo McCarey sudser, ‘An Affair to Remember, ‘when the crippled Deborah Kerr exclaims to playboy-but-true-love Cary Grant, ‘If you can paint, I can walk!’’
- ‘Instead, Greif sleepwalks a cast of second-tier talent through a lackluster, interminable script, all the while lending a dreary visual style to the film that makes it look like this week's damsel-in-distress sudser on the USA Network.’
- ‘Waters' intent was to make a homosexual heterosexual sudser, and he more or less succeeds, though it's better in some places than others.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.