One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An unweaned animal, especially a calf.
- ‘Slow sucklers need longer feeds; when schedulers restrict this time, the slower-feeding baby is out of luck.’
- 1.1 A cow used to breed and suckle calves for beef.
- ‘The tea garden and craftwork provide additional income for the family farm, where the Eddons run a herd of beef suckler cattle.’
- ‘He and his brother Paul farm sucklers, beef and sheep.’
- ‘A new site is also being developed to which the suckler cow herd and breeding unit will shortly move.’
- ‘The 50-year-old is currently establishing a beef suckler herd after diversifying from milk production last July.’
- ‘I have the biggest herd of sucklers in Lancashire scattered across 1,186 acres.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.