One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Immediately one after another.‘he served successively as a major and a lieutenant-colonel’‘three letters of successively decreasing length’
- ‘Seeking her hand for his son-in-law Maximilian, the emperor Diocletian sent two of his officers successively to negotiate the marriage.’
- ‘In 1960 he was recruited by the publishing house, where he became successively editorial director and managing director.’
- ‘During World War II, his hometown was successively occupied by Italians, Germans, and insurgent Communists.’
- ‘After the outbreak of the First World War, he served successively in the Foreign Office's western, war, and contraband departments.’
- ‘As we climbed into the hills, each country road became successively poorer and civilization more remote.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.