One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Playing Lucy Collins, the troubled daughter of the neighbourhood's petit bourgeois family, she constantly bristled with an insolent ennui and a mild subversiveness.’
- ‘Aggressive linguistic subversiveness, which used to be his hallmark, has dwindled into charm; sheer amazement has become indistinct bemusement.’
- ‘Less charitably, shouldn't indie kids be able to listen to music well-educated white people usually think is ‘beneath them’ without requiring it to give off the patina of subversiveness?’
- ‘Such tactics were even praised by the Daily Telegraph recently as offering ‘an honest subversiveness which a conservative newspaper can admire’.’
- ‘The heavy use of vernacular speech in rap lyrics underscores the subversiveness of hip hop with respect to mainstream culture and its consonance with vernacular cultural values.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.