One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make more subtle; refine.
- ‘Nietzsche is the great exemplar of complicating thought, exploiting knowledge in the interests of interrogations - not in order to clarify and focus but to subtilize and dissociate them.’
- ‘Its value bears chiefly on change: it can be intensified or subtilized.’
- ‘His first track sets the pace for the entire set, as he subtilizes the high drama of the famous c-sharp minor prelude which has become so hackneyed, often turned into a cartoon of itself owing to its own wide popularity.’
- ‘I hope I have made clear that intuitionism on the one hand subtilizes logic, on the other hand denounces logic as a source of truth.’
- ‘If one major aspect of Life Studies is this gargantuan appetite for differentiated and subtilised reality - prose again, one might think - it is checked by plot, by theme, by rhythm and, eerily, almost subliminally, by verbal repetitions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.