One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An underlying or supporting structure.
post, rod, pillar, column, support, foundation, pilingView synonyms
- ‘The roof rests on a glulam substructure supported on concrete posts with glass panels fixed to hollow steel sections.’
- ‘With our systems you can have larger spans of glass, with minimal sightlines, for both vertical and roof glazing applications, without the need for supporting substructures.’
- ‘Soil compaction is common in civil engineering practice mainly in highway and rail road works, run ways, earth dams, sanitary landfills and backfilling of excavations for substructures and retaining walls.’
- ‘When the South Street Bridge does finally get rebuilt, piers sunk into the Schuylkill River and the metal substructure can be salvaged.’
- ‘Almost 300 fragments of plaster casts of ancient statuary were excavated in a cellar-like area forming the substructure of a hall or terrace within the great bath complex at Baiae, the Roman seaside resort near Naples.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.