An underlying or supporting structure.
post, rod, pillar, column, support, foundation, pilingView synonyms
- ‘Almost 300 fragments of plaster casts of ancient statuary were excavated in a cellar-like area forming the substructure of a hall or terrace within the great bath complex at Baiae, the Roman seaside resort near Naples.’
- ‘With our systems you can have larger spans of glass, with minimal sightlines, for both vertical and roof glazing applications, without the need for supporting substructures.’
- ‘The roof rests on a glulam substructure supported on concrete posts with glass panels fixed to hollow steel sections.’
- ‘When the South Street Bridge does finally get rebuilt, piers sunk into the Schuylkill River and the metal substructure can be salvaged.’
- ‘Soil compaction is common in civil engineering practice mainly in highway and rail road works, run ways, earth dams, sanitary landfills and backfilling of excavations for substructures and retaining walls.’