Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A space that is wholly contained in another space, or whose points or elements are all in another space.
- ‘Kaluznin also worked in the area of geometrical algebra, particularly on arrangements of subspaces in Euclidean and unitary spaces.’
- ‘We may ask that the function be differentiable on one-dimensional subspaces; here one is led to the theory of the Gâteaux differential.’
- ‘Gallarati studied properties of varieties whose tangent spaces meet certain linear subspaces along spaces of dimension higher than expected.’
- ‘As in decision trees, the internal nodes in a qualitative tree specify conditions that split the attribute space into subspaces.’
- ‘He represented subspaces of a space by coordinates leading to point mapping of an algebraic manifold now called the Grassmannian.’
2(in science fiction) a hypothetical space-time continuum used for communication at a speed faster than that of light.
- ‘The warp technology of Star Trek, however, allows a spacecraft and its inhabitants to travel many times faster than light by moving through subspace, a theoretical parallel universe in which Einstein's theories do not apply.’
- ‘I did not know your race had the capability of subspace communication.’
- ‘Serves me right: apparently (and this was explained to me very carefully before I moved here) there's a ring of fractalized subspace around the entire block.’
- ‘He regrets only that they never learned how to use subspace communication through the Tempest's interference, so he could give a final report to Central Command.’
- ‘As quickly as the ship slipped into subspace, the light hole flashed away leaving no trace it ever had existed.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.