One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A subordinate plot in a play, novel, or similar work.
- ‘Location of the subplots relative to each other was variable within each plot, but the subplots did not overlap.’
- ‘The fault perhaps resides primarily in the excess of plots and subplots, themes of first and secondary importance.’
- ‘Thackeray evidently thought that this was too good a subplot to be used only once in English fiction.’
- ‘It's as if this started out as a significant aspect of the main storyline, then was shoehorned into a minor subplot.’
- ‘The subplot of Indian and Chinese interracial relationship was in the mix from the very outset.’
- ‘Come up with backstory and subplots, something to give the events of the poem more depth and thus more weight with the viewer.’
- ‘Throughout the narrative dance, subplots are created by various characters.’
- ‘His storylines have a clear sweep and are less concerned with the byways and subplots that characterise 19th century novels.’
- ‘What are we to make of the riotous subplots which tend to crowd out the ‘main’ line of action?’
- ‘Like a technothriller it has many characters, and takes a good deal of time to set up all of its various plots and subplots.’
- ‘There are more plots and subplots than you could shake a stick at, few of which make any sense at all.’
- ‘This episode is similar to the Portuguese subplot in The Spanish Tragedy.’
- ‘Sometimes they have an overarching storyline as a subplot, but they don't rely on it solely.’
- ‘He allows the audience to get comfortable in his subplots and controlling plot; we are on the inside of many of the jokes, all of them, in fact, except for one.’
- ‘I stayed on the sidelines, amused at the sheer number of plots and subplots which one match could throw up.’
- ‘Are all loose ends, storylines and subplots seamlessly tied up in the conclusion?’
- ‘In the case of taking a novel to the screen this results in scenes and subplots that may be nice enough on their own but add nothing to the film as a whole.’
- ‘Aristotle would not approve of all the subplots that occur within this play.’
- ‘Too many scenes let the characters shine without moving the plot forward, and a romantic subplot near the end goes nowhere.’
- ‘However, the film might have benefited from a subplot exploring the back-stories of some of the other refugees.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.