Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A taxonomic category that ranks below phylum and above class.
- ‘I'm animal, my phylum is chordata, my subphylum is vertebrate, my class is mammals, sublass theria, infraclass eutheria, within that I'm a primate, and within that I'm human.’
- ‘To give the idea of a subphylum, the entire Vertebrata are in the Linnean arrangement a subphylum of the phylum Chordata.’
- ‘Technically an invertebrate, amphioxus is classified in subphylum Protochordata, phylum Chordata.’
- ‘These aren't just distinct species but distinct phyla, categories so large that man and bat occupy not only the same phylum but the same subphylum.’
- ‘Going on down the hierarchy are phylum, subphylum, class, subclass, order, family, genus, species.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.