Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘These data define another linear palaeotemperature profile that is subparallel to the present-day geothermal gradient.’
- ‘The main-phase foliation is subparallel to the nappe contact of the Gran Paradiso massif with the overlying Zermatt-Saas zone and defines a broad regional dome structure.’
- ‘The foliation is generally parallel or subparallel to the axial plane of the host fold, but it can also converge through the fold core.’
- ‘Irregular leucosome-leucogranite sheets that are parallel or subparallel to the fabric occur throughout the section.’
- ‘In some shale horizons, layers of laminated chert occur along anastomosing foliation planes that are subparallel to bedding.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.