One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to passerine birds of a division that includes those other than songbirds, found chiefly in America.Compare with oscine
- ‘The split between the oscine and suboscine lineages is assumed to have occurred in the late Cretaceous, when the South American and Indian tectonic plates became isolated.’
- ‘Although the same codon deletion is found in representatives of at least two other avian orders, it is not present in lineages representing a diverse group of suboscine and oscine passerines.’
- ‘Geographic variation in song among suboscine birds has been taken to indicate genetic divergence.’
- ‘We tested whether a suboscine bird, the alder flycatcher, was able to discriminate between songs of neighbors and strangers despite limited individual variation in song.’
- ‘All tyrant flycatchers in the genus Empidonax, called empids out of either affection or frustration, are suboscine songbirds with olive upperparts, pale throats and bellies, and whitish wing-bars and eye-rings.’
A bird of the suboscine division.
- ‘Particularly among suboscines, subtle differences in songs often separate closely related species, as recently confirmed for thamnophilid antbirds.’
- ‘Chesser examined the molecular systematics of the New World suboscines and included three antpitta genera (Grallaricula, Myrmothera, and Grallaria) and one antthrush in the study.’
- ‘Despite the predominance of suboscines in the Neotropics, our knowledge of bird song and its functions is biased heavily toward studies of oscines.’
- ‘All of these suboscines - both Old World and New - thus have geographical distributions that point back to Gondwana, and their beginnings there make even more sense once their close relatives, the songbirds, are taken into account.’
- ‘Because vocalizations in suboscines are assumed to be inherited characters, not learned, they have been used frequently in assessing species limits and providing clues to genetic discontinuities among suboscine populations.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.