One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘‘I apologize for my foolishness, Sire,’ he submissively replied, lowering his eyes in defeat.’
- ‘She saw herself chained to a coarse wooden pole, the straw on the floor pricking her legs as she kneeled, head bowed submissively.’
- ‘When I arrived at the enclosures, he was inside, crouched submissively alongside a huge silver-backed male.’
- ‘Her Majesty sits squat on her throne, her head crowned, a sceptre in one hand, an orb in the other, and two lions stretch submissively at the imperial feet while she stares with bronze eyes at the distant horizons of Empire.’
- ‘It means publicly reprimanding politicians who insist that ‘as Americans’ we should submissively yield to whatever the Supreme Court decides.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.