Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Either of a pair of salivary glands situated below the lower jaw.Also called submaxillary gland
- ‘This was centred in the left submandibular region anterior to the left submandibular gland.’
- ‘Swollen submandibular glands and parotid glands as well as esophagitis, esophageal spasm, and esophageal tearing and potentially fatal ruptures can occur from constant vomiting.’
- ‘Neoplasms can occur in the parotid, sublingual or submandibular glands, or in the minor salivary glands.’
- ‘The submandibular glands produce a mixture of serous and mucous saliva.’
- ‘The hypertrophied submandibular gland, or a ptosis of the platysma muscle which hangs down, causes a bad result when using liposuction alone.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.