1A partial dislocation.
- ‘Hip trauma generally is caused by either a direct blow to the upper thigh with impaction of the joint surfaces or a force on the extremity resulting in subluxation or dislocation of the hip.’
- ‘Pain or apprehension about the feeling of impending subluxation or dislocation indicates anterior glenohumeral instability.’
- ‘Sometimes the fracture occurs at the base and the carpometacarpal joint, and there is the possibility of an associated dislocation or subluxation of the joint.’
- ‘It may be particularly useful in the pediatric population for diagnosis of hip joint subluxation and dislocation.’
- ‘Recurrent anterior subluxations can also follow an acute dislocation.’
- 1.1A slight misalignment of the vertebrae, regarded in chiropractic theory as the cause of many health problems.
- ‘The majority of the 36 injuries not detectable by MRI were skeletal abnormalities, including acute fracture, facet subluxation and vertebral subluxation.’
- ‘For example, when a bony joint in the spine, called a vertebra, is out of place, it is called a vertebral subluxation.’
- ‘Among Dr. Collins' professional interests are detection and correction of vertebral subluxation, and educating the public about the health benefits of chiropractic care.’
- ‘Vertebrae or facet joints can present subluxation or dislocate.’
- ‘Four out of five chiropractors in the Toronto area had found serious problems with Judy's spine - specifically subluxations that needed chiropractic treatment.’
Late 17th century: from modern Latin subluxatio(n-) (see sub-, luxate).