Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A partial dislocation.
- ‘Hip trauma generally is caused by either a direct blow to the upper thigh with impaction of the joint surfaces or a force on the extremity resulting in subluxation or dislocation of the hip.’
- ‘Pain or apprehension about the feeling of impending subluxation or dislocation indicates anterior glenohumeral instability.’
- ‘Sometimes the fracture occurs at the base and the carpometacarpal joint, and there is the possibility of an associated dislocation or subluxation of the joint.’
- ‘It may be particularly useful in the pediatric population for diagnosis of hip joint subluxation and dislocation.’
- ‘Recurrent anterior subluxations can also follow an acute dislocation.’
- 1.1A slight misalignment of the vertebrae, regarded in chiropractic theory as the cause of many health problems.
- ‘The majority of the 36 injuries not detectable by MRI were skeletal abnormalities, including acute fracture, facet subluxation and vertebral subluxation.’
- ‘For example, when a bony joint in the spine, called a vertebra, is out of place, it is called a vertebral subluxation.’
- ‘Among Dr. Collins' professional interests are detection and correction of vertebral subluxation, and educating the public about the health benefits of chiropractic care.’
- ‘Vertebrae or facet joints can present subluxation or dislocate.’
- ‘Four out of five chiropractors in the Toronto area had found serious problems with Judy's spine - specifically subluxations that needed chiropractic treatment.’
Late 17th century: from modern Latin subluxatio(n-) (see sub-, luxate).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.