Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The use by advertisers of images and sounds to influence consumers' responses without their being conscious of it.
- ‘The life of the new subliminal advertising seemed short indeed.’
- ‘If that had any influence on me writing this, then I have just been the victim of subliminal advertising.’
- ‘Despite widespread belief in the power of subliminal advertising and messaging, the evidence of its significant effectiveness is based on anecdotes and unscientific studies by interested parties.’
- ‘And I haven't even mentioned the barrage of subliminal advertising and product placement that appears ad nauseam.’
- ‘Key's claims about subliminal advertising were commonly taught by advertising educators, particularly at universities.’
- ‘The rise of subliminal advertising and focus groups is the brainchild of one of Sigmund Freud's relatives in America.’
- ‘The Broadcasting Commission of Ireland will next year consider a crackdown on broadcasters' use of competitions, product placement and similar subliminal advertising.’
- ‘That nonsense about subliminal advertising was a perfect example of paranoid conspiracy.’
- ‘Recently released studies have shown that subliminal advertising did not produce any noticeable effects in test groups.’
- ‘One technique of persuasion that relies on the power of emotion to influence our judgements is subliminal advertising.’
- ‘But I drive past the sign to it on the A12 every time I go to Brighton, and after a year of subliminal advertising, I feel I just have to go.’
- ‘I recall that in the 1950s - 60s there was subliminal advertising in American films.’
- ‘That was not subliminal advertising by the chocolate company, but your body telling you it needed some quick sugar.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.