(of a stimulus or mental process) below the threshold of sensation or consciousness; perceived by or affecting someone's mind without their being aware of it.
subconscious, unconscioushidden, concealedView synonyms
- ‘A number of these studies have used subliminal stimuli to produce the increase in positive affect.’
- ‘An audio subliminal message could be defined as a verbal stimulus perceived below the threshold of awareness.’
- ‘In lay terms, he is interested in how subliminal information can be conveyed.’
- ‘As is typical with this method, no participant reported being aware of the subliminal faces.’
- ‘Designed to work on a subliminal level, after the event it grows in the mind's eye rather than fading from memory.’
Late 19th century: from sub- below + Latin limen, limin- threshold + -al.