One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An officer in the British Royal Navy ranking above midshipman and below lieutenant.
- ‘Nuclear propulsion pay will now be received by sub lieutenants and lieutenants at category A levels on completion of their engineer officer of the watch board.’
- ‘His promotion to a sub lieutenant, following his completion of the 22-week ‘direct entry’ officer's course last year, dovetails well with the RAN's decision to post navel nurses to warships.’
- ‘As the Grafton was scuttled, Mr Kester - who eventually held the rank of sub lieutenant - was transferred to the destroyer Ivanhoe and ended up in Dover.’
- ‘John was serving as a sub lieutenant with the RNVR in 818 Squadron when he took part in the attack on Bismarck which was led by Lt Cdr T. Coode.’
- ‘After a few tense minutes of waiting, Sergeant Williams held up the ok sign for the sub lieutenant.’
- ‘As a junior sub lieutenant my first front-line tour of duty was with 814 Squadron.’
- ‘They are two young sub lieutenants, not out of their teens who have been placed in charge of these trawlers to take them to the Dardanelles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.