One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An officer in the British Royal Navy ranking above midshipman and below lieutenant.
- ‘They are two young sub lieutenants, not out of their teens who have been placed in charge of these trawlers to take them to the Dardanelles.’
- ‘Nuclear propulsion pay will now be received by sub lieutenants and lieutenants at category A levels on completion of their engineer officer of the watch board.’
- ‘His promotion to a sub lieutenant, following his completion of the 22-week ‘direct entry’ officer's course last year, dovetails well with the RAN's decision to post navel nurses to warships.’
- ‘After a few tense minutes of waiting, Sergeant Williams held up the ok sign for the sub lieutenant.’
- ‘As a junior sub lieutenant my first front-line tour of duty was with 814 Squadron.’
- ‘John was serving as a sub lieutenant with the RNVR in 818 Squadron when he took part in the attack on Bismarck which was led by Lt Cdr T. Coode.’
- ‘As the Grafton was scuttled, Mr Kester - who eventually held the rank of sub lieutenant - was transferred to the destroyer Ivanhoe and ended up in Dover.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.