One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action of bringing someone or something under domination or control.‘the colonial subjugation of a country by means of brute military force’‘the fear of human subjugation by technology’count noun ‘conquests and subjugations that we think are long forgotten’
- ‘Surrounded by hostile populations, they were an easy target for invasion and subjugation by their neighbours.’
- ‘Mass gymnastics are as chilling a sight as military parades, for they both encourage the subjugation of the individual to the collective.’
- ‘The oppressed must be made aware of their subjugation.’
- ‘They were forced into roles impossible to fulfil in the context of the multiple subjugations by which they were dominated.’
- ‘Eve's deception by the serpent has been used to justify the subjugation of women in the Judeo-Christian tradition.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.