One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Situated below something else.
- ‘The metal content of the fluids thus reflects the trace-element composition of the subjacent source rocks which, in mid-ocean ridges, are basaltic.’
- ‘Viral antigen extended, in a time-dependent fashion, from nasal epithelium into the subjacent lamina propria and along olfactory nerves in cells interpreted to be perineural fibroblasts.’
- ‘At 187 m, a thin bed of iron-stained quartz sandstone drapes across an irregular surface cut into oolitic dolomitic grainstones that represent the latest phase of the subjacent shallowing record.’
- ‘The cause of crater formation can be envisaged as the subsidence of a structurally bound Triassic layer into a subjacent Zechstein succession, which was extending and thinning.’
- ‘Recent studies proposed that the Cretan detachment is a shallowly north-dipping normal fault, which formed subparallel to the subjacent subduction thrust in the Early Miocene.’
Late 16th century: from Latin subjacent- ‘lying underneath’, from sub- ‘under’ + jacere ‘to lie’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.